Why the title "There is a better way"?

Well here I am. My first blog! This is something I've wanted to do for years, but FINALLY it has come to pass. Where's the champagne?!
I guess for my first post I should at least explain why I chose this title for my blog.
When I was a boy of 9 or 10 years old, my family lived in St. Louis, MO. A large bank there called Boatman's Bank was running an extensive marketing campaign during that time. At the end of each of their commercials there was a tag line that was sung. It was female voice simply singing the words, "There is a better way". The idea of there being a better way of doing things infatuated me. What if I looked at life that way? Well, that's pretty much been a theme of my life since. I tend to look at any situation with an attitude of:
"There is a better way... now, let's find it!"
-JBenjamin

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The simple things

Over the last few days I've noticed just the slightest hint of SPRING in the air. It's subtle, but it's there. It is more the absence of the frigid air that Winter brings with it. The actual temperature is still cold, but I guess it is just more tolerable since I know Spring is right around the corner. I've also noticed the birds are being more "vocal". I have been hearing more songs. I have heard the robins are back, although I have yet to see one. Its still too early for flowers of any kind, but the stores are putting out there lawn and garden supplies. All these are good signs. I'm very anxious to get my hands in the dirt and start planting! Of course it's really too early to even be thinking about this.

Spring excites me. Probably more than any other time of year. It is a time of new beginnings. It is a time of hope and renewal. things are young and fresh. I love Spring.

I'm wondering how I can keep the "spirit of Spring" alive all year long. I think it would help my overall attitude. Last week my 16 year old daughter brought home a bouquet of yellow tulips tinged in orange. I couldn't help but notice how having those in the living room has just brightened my day. This made me realize how important simple things are in affecting one's attitude toward a day.

I'm going to make a list of simple things that make a difference in my life. Why not start doing those things on a regular basis? hmmmm

Here's are few of those things:
Fresh flowers in the house
A neat and tidy bedroom
Art
A good book by my bedside
A nicely scented candle burning in the evening
A new issue of Bon Appetite
A new CD of music (whatever my mood is)
A hug from someone I love
Dark Chocolate and a cup of espresso

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A phone call or text message from Stuart.