Why the title "There is a better way"?

Well here I am. My first blog! This is something I've wanted to do for years, but FINALLY it has come to pass. Where's the champagne?!
I guess for my first post I should at least explain why I chose this title for my blog.
When I was a boy of 9 or 10 years old, my family lived in St. Louis, MO. A large bank there called Boatman's Bank was running an extensive marketing campaign during that time. At the end of each of their commercials there was a tag line that was sung. It was female voice simply singing the words, "There is a better way". The idea of there being a better way of doing things infatuated me. What if I looked at life that way? Well, that's pretty much been a theme of my life since. I tend to look at any situation with an attitude of:
"There is a better way... now, let's find it!"
-JBenjamin

Monday, August 18, 2008

Reflecting on Summer

In January I moved from my loft in downtown Elkhart to a large apartment complex on the South side of Elkhart. I fondly call it "Little Mexico" because as a white man, I am definitely the minority in this apartment complex. I don't mind it all, in fact since my favorite food is Mexican food, I love all the scents that waft up to my third floor apartment.

My apartment is small and nondescipt. The best feature of the unit is my 4x8 wooden deck on the South side of the building. As I sat out on my deck this evening watching the sun go down and enjoying the humming birds coming to my feeder, I realized that I had actually spent quite a few evenings out there sipping a glass of wine and reflecting on the day. I realized how thankful I was for that little 4x8 piece of "paradise". In that little space I created a respite from the stresses of the day by doing two of the things I enjoy most....gardening and birding. My thistle feeder brings a constant stream of bright yellow and black gold finches. My hummingbird feeder is buzzing with activity. The plants on my deck are a variety of herbs used in cooking along with red and yellow bell peppers and tomatoes. I've already been enjoying the fruit of my labors.

Tonight I realized how that little spot has added so much to my life. Simple by surrounding myself with a few things I love made all the difference in the world.

I'm happy.




No comments: