Why the title "There is a better way"?

Well here I am. My first blog! This is something I've wanted to do for years, but FINALLY it has come to pass. Where's the champagne?!
I guess for my first post I should at least explain why I chose this title for my blog.
When I was a boy of 9 or 10 years old, my family lived in St. Louis, MO. A large bank there called Boatman's Bank was running an extensive marketing campaign during that time. At the end of each of their commercials there was a tag line that was sung. It was female voice simply singing the words, "There is a better way". The idea of there being a better way of doing things infatuated me. What if I looked at life that way? Well, that's pretty much been a theme of my life since. I tend to look at any situation with an attitude of:
"There is a better way... now, let's find it!"
-JBenjamin

Friday, January 18, 2008

Moving day

Last weekend was moving day for me. Thank God for friends and my three teens who helped me. I have made an effort to not be a packrack over the years. I really don't have that much "stuff", but it is amazing how it seems to multiply when you start packing.

There was a time in my life when I lived in clutter. I have learned that clutter is a huge weight on me. I don't function well in clutter. It is like a weight tied to me. Having said that I am a romantic at heart and have a sentimental side to me. It is easy to attach value to things. Once something has sentimental value to it, it becomes very hard to part with it. So how do I balance that?

To me it is all about PERSPECTIVE.
I try to ask myself some simple questions.
Is this truly irreplaceable?
10 years for now will I really care whether I own this or not?
Will my children want this passed down to them later on?
Is it adding to my quality of life or is it just "stuff"?
Can I live happily without it?

I truly believe there is very little that I can't live without. Life is complicated enough, I prefer to simplify. There is a better way.

No comments: